SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Joseph Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 02:49:44 +0900
Realism has lots to offer public health, but it won't be the only future.  I
know that all of our disciplines have different definitions, but provided
that the dictionary definition of realism as, "concern for fact or reality
and rejection of the impractical and visionary" (http://www.m-w.com/) at
least partially applies, then there's going to be some revolt from an overly
realist approach to promoting public health.

We have to give some recognition to the increasing, albeit slowly,
[visionary] work on health and human rights.  This work is slowly gaining
acceptance as the major human rights NGOs are beginning to recognize it, as
are some in academia (Paul Farmer's book, PATHOLOGIES OF POWER comes to
mind; from the philosophical end, Henry Shue's BASIC RIGHTS).

Certainly, the realist approach is very valuable for future public health
work; however, if there's any hope for a more globally just distribution of
disease burden, then we have to come to terms with the scale of our problems
throughout the world.  And, thus, we will have to construct the norms that
allow for change by valuing even those who have no real power in the
political processes.  Public health based in realism alone will be far too
cavalier with lives -- irreal with distance -- that do not have any power
over the decision making and political processes.

There's a brilliantly useful book from the human rights movement that, while
a little bit too "sunny," could -- and should -- be useful for promoting
public health:  Risse, Thomas, Stephen C. Ropp, and Kathryn Sikkink. Eds.
THE POWER OF HUMAN RIGHTS: INTERNATIONAL NORMS AND DOMESTIC CHANGE.
Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1999.  The authors carefully lay
out a "spiral model" of socialization to human rights norms.  It's more
complicated than I care to explain with six levels in the spiral, a good
dose of "network and field theory," and the possibility (I think, judging
from my country's new Attorney General) of working in multiple directions.

We may need a good dose of realism in achieving our policy aims and building
political support for public health programs, but to be more fully equitable
we will need to finish constructing, maintaining, and instrumentalizing a
human rights regime that includes health and the rest of the so-called
"second generation," positive, or economic human rights.

Sorry to sound preachy, but I think there are incredibly interesting and
powerful possibilities in the linkages between health and human rights
(especially, acknowledging that these human rights have yet to be fully
envisioned or realized), and these linkages could change the boundaries of
acceptable policy.

-- Joseph Lee <[log in to unmask]>
  Instructor, Nova Seisekisakuragaoka
 http://www.josephlee.name/