SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Linda Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:22:04 -0500
I am looking at a couple of books here that are edited by Craig Newnes and
some co-authors and I want to share some information from them -

1. This is Madness:  A Critical Look at Psychiatry and the Future of
Mental Health Services. Craig Newnes, Guy Holmes, and Cailzie Dunn, Eds.
1999. PCCS Books.
A chapter that will hold interest for some online is this one -

Racism and Mental Health, by Nishima Patel and Iyabo A. Fatimilehin.
Nishima Patel's and Iyabo A. Fatimilehin's  discussion includes the
following passage, "The construct of mental health is in itself
Eurocentric and systems based on such constructs have inherent biases
which beg questions regarding their validity for Black and minority ethnic
people. Sue et al. (1996) argue that a major stumbling block to moving
beyond Eurocentrism is the reluctance of mental health professionals to
acknowledge the varying manifestations of racism in the mental health
field, including their own racist attitudes and practices."

2. This is Madness Too: Critical Perspectives on Mental Health Services.
Craig Newnes, Guy Holmes, and Cailzie Dunn, Eds. 2001. PCCS Books.

A chapter that will likely hold interest for some online -

Surviving Social Inclusion, by Peter Campbell, in which Peter Campbell
explains the price of social inclusion for some people. Although many of
us appreciate the general problem of social exclusion and its challenge by
the social determinants of health approach, I wonder how often we have the
opportunity to reflect on the fact that social inclusion may not be an
unproblematic good, or one that works for everyone  equally.