SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Robert C Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:07:13 -0500
I have a hard time connecting the cause and effect that is promoted by this
article

I would like to understand this connection better.

The relationships described can be due to

1. NAFTA policies
2. policies adopted by the same leaders with the same philosophy but not
due to NAFTA
3. global economic impacts
4. significant events
5. decisions made by local and state government, not national

"NAFTA rules protect the interests of large corporate investors while
undercutting workers' rights, environmental protections, and democratic
accountability."

Don't doubt this, but want to understand the supporting arguments.

"Meanwhile, the agricultural sector has suffered a large and steady loss of
employment due to NAFTA. The share of the population engaged in
agricultural activities fell from 26.8% in 1991 to 16.4% in 2004, a
significant decrease."

This has been a 200 year trend due to better productivity and less people
needed. Also true in many other nations. Even Nebraska farmers are buying
soybeans and land in Brazil. This is not a good example that demonstrates a
clear link with NAFTA.

"NAFTA must be revised in order to create a social fund" - this tends to
make me think that the "report" is really an excuse for an agenda. It may
be a good agenda, but many will reject it if the bias is too obvious and
the supporting pieces are not there.

Canada and the United States

After months and months of Canadian and US problems listed, there has been
little or no reference to NAFTA. I find it hard to all of a sudden move
NAFTA to the top of the list over age 0 - 8 child development and education
and basic health care access.

The US income differentials are widening between rich and poor, the
investments made by the US are poor. We owe our souls to foreign debt
holders. our major industries fail to compete. and other nations overrun us
in trade negotiations. NAFTA seems to contribute little to this although
decisions that led to NAFTA seem to have other accomplices in poor
decisions.

I will look over the document more thoroughly, but the summary sheets must
also refect real findings, not subjectivity.

Robert C. Bowman, M.D.