SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:40:44 -0800
This would be the type of jobs that I would enjoy having....  It may not be high pay, but could be very rewarding.  But of course, can't be too low either, we all need to support/take care ourselves first.  Or else I will be too worried financially to have passion to work with children, respect for
myself, others and the environment, and to have a strong work ethic; to have a sense of personal accountability and ability to accept the physical challenges of long days on the farm are necessary; and to have a willingness to learn and teach alongside young children.

>>> Matthew <[log in to unmask]> 12/13/06 11:33 AM >>>
About The FARM Institute www.farminstitute.org

The FARM Institute (TFI) is an educational, working farm on 162 acres of
picturesque coastal sand plain on Martha's Vineyard Island,
Massachusetts. The mission of TFI is to operate a teaching farm that
educates and engages children and adults in agriculture through the
operations of a diverse working farm. By providing year round
educational programs, TFI offers learning experiences in farming, land
preservation, nutritional awareness, growing food, as well as the
culture and history of Martha's Vineyard farming.

We care for rare breeds of livestock including laying hens, turkeys,
broiler hens, dairy goats, beef cattle, pigs, and sheep on grass with
rotational grazing. We also have a children's garden and a production
garden, grow small grains, make hay, honey and are starting a small orchard.

Working at The FARM Institute

Employees must have passion to work with children, respect for
themselves, others and the environment, and have a strong work ethic. A
sense of personal accountability and ability to accept the physical
challenges of long days on the farm are necessary. A willingness to
learn and teach alongside young children are essential. Our work is a
result of the collaboration of skills and experience of all the staff. A
typical day may involve all aspects of farming and teaching: caring for
the livestock, developing learning activities, daily chores, haying,
weeding, planting, harvesting, building repairs, and other special
tasks. Most tasks are completed in a partnership with our young
students. Experience with animal husbandry, greenhouse and field
growing, cheesemaking, environmental education, and classroom experience
is a plus.

Job Descriptions

Teacher/Farmer
This is an eight month position that combines teaching and farming.
During the fall, and spring you will be expected to spend 50% of you
time working on the farm and 50% of your time teaching. During the
summer your time will be devoted to the teaching at the summer camp.
There will be additional farm and community work that you will be
expected to take part in as well. We are seeking someone who is
committed to sharing farming, work, play, and passion with children and
adults. Experience with, environmental education, farming, and a strong
work ethic are a must. Strong organizational skills and excellent
communication, kindness, a sense of humor, willingness to learn, and
enough energy and enthusiasm to take on farming, children and the
community at the same time are all essential qualities that you must
posses in order to thrive in this position. We are talking applications
for this position until February 1, 2007. Please call Nora at
508-627-7007 or email: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Farm Hand
We require self-motivated, skilled farm hands with practical experience
in livestock handling, feeding and husbandry, gardening, tractor work,
and basic carpentry skills. Most importantly, as with all staff on the
farm, you must have a love for children and learning, and the patience
to share your skills. Your primary responsibilities will be ongoing
maintenance and operations for the farm. Each farm hand will take
responsibility for various operations depending on TFI need and your
personal interests. During the summer you will be expected to work with
the camp students 1-2 hours a day in addition to your farm
responsibilities. The position is available from March/April through the
end of October. Please call Matthew at 508-627-7007 or email him at:

Summer Teacher/Farmer
We seek several summer camp staff for full time teaching during the
summer of 2007. Experience and passion for teaching children and
interest in farming is a must. The camp focuses are organic farming,
sustainability, nutrition, and earth stewardship. Camp staff must have
the ability to foster meaningful relationships with children ages 4-14
as well as someone who is committed to sharing farming, work and play.
As with our year round Teacher/Farmers -- experience with environmental
education, farming, and a strong work ethic are desired. Excellent
communication, kindness, a sense of humor, willingness to learn, and
enough energy and enthusiasm to take on teaching and sharing your
passion with both the children and their parents is a must. The camp
days run from 9-3pm Monday- Friday. Staff is expected to work from 8-4
M-F with occasional extended days and weekends for farm, community and
camp events. This is a 14 week position beginning in June 1st and ending
September 1st. Possibilities for the right applicant to start or end a
week early. Please call Rob at 508-627-7007 or email:

WISP (Work Income Sharing Project) Garden Apprentice
Some flexibility with start and end date depending on applicant. Work
alongside our WISP Manager in the 3 acre production garden. WISP is an
education program that is designed specifically for our production
garden. Students ages 11-14 will work with the WISP Manager and
apprentice to grow; harvest and market produce for local restaurants,
farmers markets and make donations to local food relief organizations.
The students that participate in the program during a given week will
receive a paycheck at the end of the week relative to a percentage of
produce sales.

As the WISP Apprentice you will be expected to work 5 1/2 days a week.
Your responsibilities will range from planting, cultivation, irrigation,
harvesting, setup and sales at the farmers market, coordinating food
relief distribution, and most importantly working along side and
mentoring children. As hard as you work as a gardener, your commitment
and passion for working with children must be equal.

When working with children our primary goal is to provide them with a
safe and fun learning experience. We strive to celebrate accomplishments
and to encourage discipline, effectiveness, independent actions and
independent problem-solving. We give the children age appropriate tasks
and allow the children to do the work whenever possible.

If you are serious about wanting to learn how to grow, market and sell
produce all with children, then this is the position for you. Please
contact Matthew Goldfarb, [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or call 508.627.7007

General Internships
Internships available on a rolling basis that combines farming and or
teaching. Please call Nora at 508-627-7007 or email:

Desired Background for all Staff

    * A desire to work with children and adults in farm related activities
    * A commitment to the mission of The FARM Institute
    * A background in education, animal husbandry, growing,
      environmental sciences or related fields
    * Experience and ability working with multiple colleagues; good
      organization and attention to detail, and ability to work
      efficiently and effectively without close supervision.
    * Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small
      group situations to students, colleagues, customers, supervisors,
      support staff and other members of The FARM Institute community.
    * Willingness to learn new skills, adapt to situations, work towards
      shared goals
    * Experiences that exemplify traditional and innovative methods for
      collaboration and problem solving.
    * Good written and verbal communication skills

To learn more about our organization, please visit
www.farminstitute.org. Salaries, benefits and housing are based on
specific positions and prior work experience. Individuals interested in
applying for a position should e-mail a résumé, and a letter of intent
including any related work experience, what you expect to contribute,
what you would like to learn, and your availability.

The FARM Institute - Post Office Box 1868 - Edgartown, Massachusetts
02539 - (508) 627-7007