SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:11:49 -0500
8bit
From:
John Courtneidge <[log in to unmask]>
To: Brice Balmer Interfaith Social Assistance Reform Coalition <[log in to unmask]>, Michael Polanyi Kairos Canada <[log in to unmask]>, Linda Nye <[log in to unmask]>, Corrie Douma <[log in to unmask]>, Margot Overington <[log in to unmask]>, A Ranneris <[log in to unmask]>
Dear friends

Regarding possible letters at Budget times - here's a draft that could
be used/modified/what-ever:

    -------------------------------

*Draft letter to Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty concerning the 2007
Ontario Provincial Budget *

STARTS

With the 2007 Ontario Provincial Budget in prospect, we write to you,
from our leadings – to call upon you to reduce the income gaps and
income insecurities that exist among Ontarians, today.

Specifically, we urge you to:

a)      Institute an annual, independent Review Commission and process
into the level of a liveable Ontario Minimum Wage, and to raise it,
immediately to – at least - $10 per hour;

b)      To institute a similar independent Commission and process to
annually recommend levels of Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability
Support Program (ODSP), while, at the same time, immediately ending the
claw-back of the Federal Child-Benefit Program.

We are aware that individual and family incomes arise from a mix of:
paid work; ‘as-of-right’ incomes (such as OW, ODSP, EI, Old-age and CPP
pensions, etc); income from capital assets (rent, interest and
dividends, often through multiple channels); and gift income, often from
differing sources.

Furthermore, we note that the aggregate incomes from these sources – for
individuals and for families – can be highly unequal and, often, highly
insecure: both of which are not conducive to personal, family and social
peace.

More-over, faith teachings and discernment inform us that inequalities
of income, and of income mix (ie: from paid work, as-of-right income,
income from capital sources and gift income – as listed above) are
deeply harmful to social peace, human well-being and environmental
integrity – the lack of any of these being an affront each one of us –
and to God.

Accordingly, we call on your Government to institute regular (annual,
semi-annual, or otherwise, as appropriate) Provincial Commissions of
Enquiry to report into the best ways by which family and individual
incomes may be best made equal and secure.

Finally, we note that non-coercive programs of rehabilitation, therapy,
training and education are essential to ensure fullest participation of
all Ontarians in relevant, beneficial, productive activity, all within a
peaceful, secure and equal social environment, where affordable housing,
child-care and so on are equally provided for all.  Accordingly, we are
led to encourage the Ontario Government to sustainably ensure that such
non-coercive, peaceful and peace-making, programs are efficiently
established, overseen, operated and adequately – generously, even, in
love – funded.

In closing this letter, we affirm that we write continuing to uphold the
historic role of living for, and in, peace, equality,  and, we hope,
integrity: clear that peace is the way to all being well:

- As love asks of us all.

Your friends, in peace, for love.

ENDS

Love 2(u) all