SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Mark Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:19:16 -0000
Dear Mel

I have not read this report but the figure is not a complete surprise -different figures will be arrived at depending on which definition of poverty is used.   For example I was suprised to read that in some Local Education Authorities in England 60% of children are eligible for free school meals -  To be eligible for Free school meals a family would basically have no income other than that obtained through welfare benefits - Does this mean they are 'in poverty' I would think so.  What is also interesting is the geographical distribution in inequality such figures highlight - in other LEA's  less than 5% of children are eligible for FSM.

Mark

Mark Newman
Evidence for Policy and Practice Information and Coordinating Centre (EPPI- Centre)
Social Science Research Unit (SSRU)
Institute of Education
University of London
18 Woburn Square