SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:10:03 -0500
Nations with proportional representation have stronger welfare states,
lower poverty rates, and better population health.  They also break the
stranglehold business-oriented parties have on the political process. (Dont
mention that last point in your submission!)

Consider sending a comment to the Ontario electoral commission -- see below
-- dr
Should Ontario keep its current electoral system or adopt a new one?

That is the question the Assembly is asking.

The Ontario Citizens’ Assembly on Electoral Reform has extended the
deadline for written comments until January 31, 2007. You can submit your
comments online, or by mail or fax. You can write a few sentences, a few
paragraphs, or more.

The electoral system determines what choices we have at election time and
how our votes are counted and translated into seats for members of
provincial parliament (MPPs). We want to hear from people who are happy
with the current system and from those who think a different system would
serve Ontarians better. Which system do you prefer? And why?

The Citizens’ Assembly must consider the following principles during their
deliberations: Legitimacy; Fairness of Representation; Voter Choice;
Effective Parties; Stable and Effective Government; Effective Parliament;
Stronger Voter Participation; Simplicity and Practicality; and
Accountability. Which principles do you think are most important? And why?

Visit our website for details, and to download our consultation guide
Citizens Talking to Citizens: www.citizensassembly.gov.on.ca.

It's important thatyour voice be heard. We're listening.