SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Sandi Pniauskas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:32:44 -0400
Sorry for this shameless promotion of this event, however, like Chrystal
and others no one is willing to extend sponsorship, so the survivours
are funding these events personally. Pdf files (flyers/announcements)
are available if you contact me.
Having had more than my personal share of tragedy, I have been extremely
fortunate to find survivours (not only specific to cancer but other
events) of individuals who indeed do want to talk openly about the
lingering effects of the losses and suffering which we either experience
personally or through others. For the most part, my experience has been
that the most effective communication remains at the grassroots level,
as in 'been there, done that' and no explanations are required on how we
feel, because it is understood at the gut-level. When people complete
your sentences with your own words, you know they understand. I do hope
others will find the excellent people connections which I have found
through the years.

Sorry for this Dennis, but there is no funding to pay for promotion, so
the goodness of your heart/forebearance is appreciated.
Sandi

http://ovariancancerdebate.blogspot.com/

News Announcement
Survivors’ Debate: The Past Decade in Ovarian Cancer

August 21, 2007
Ovarian Cancer Survivors provide Patient-Led, Patient-Organized Public
Conferences in U.S. and Canada

NOVI, MICHIGAN/TORONTO, ONTARIO, Aug. 21 / - Ovarian Cancer Survivors’
announce the first ever Patient-led conferences on October 27th and
November 3rd, crossing borders between the U.S. and Canada.

Supported by cancer survivors and oncology nursing professionals,
limited financial support has been available. Funding support has been
provided primarily through individual ovarian cancer survivors.

Ovarian Cancer Debate: "The Past Decade in Ovarian Cancer"

WHAT:
Ovarian cancer survivors, Carolyn Benivegna (U.S.) and Sandi Pniauskas
(Canada), announce the first-ever Ovarian Cancer Survivors’ Debate. Both
conferences are survivor-led and survivor-organized with the debates and
discussions surrounding the multitude of issues - the past and the
present. Open and lively dialogue will be encouraged.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
All cancer survivors/caregivers, healthcare professionals, researchers,
pharmacists, media and the public are encouraged to attend and participate.

WHERE/WHEN:

#1: Sheraton Hotel, Novi, MI Sat. Oct 27th, 2007

#2: Metropolitan Hotel, Toronto, ON Sat. Nov 3rd, 2007

Time: 10:00 am - 12:30 pm

BACKGROUND:

Ovarian cancer has the highest mortality rate of all gynecologic
cancers. Ovarian cancer has no early detection test.

The debate and ensuing open forum public discussions will include the
specifics of disease-related issues including genetics, access to care
and communications. Debating the issues: Carolyn Benivegna, a nine-year
ovarian cancer survivor/BRCA 1 carrier and Sandi Pniauskas, an
eight-ovarian cancer survivor/Lynch Syndrome/Hereditary NonPolyposis
Colorectal Cancer.

Ovarian cancer survivors Annamarie DeCarlo and Dr. Yi Pan, M.D. PhD,
will co-moderate both events. Bridget Capo (R.N.) and Pamela J. West
(R.N.) will provide support and collaborate with Benivegna and Pniauskas
in formal publication of the event proceedings.

"Our community is very pleased to offer this exciting open public forum
without cost to participants and we encourage active dialogue. We value
our professional and family caregivers, but have seen the need, over
years, for our community of cancer patients to have open discussions on
the real issues that affect their lives. Today, and for the future. We
need to appreciate the past, so that we may effectively bring attention
to the sufferings experienced in our community. Most importantly we need
to escalate change.” Benivegna/Pniauskas

Registration and public poll:

http://ovariancancerdebate.blogspot.com/

Further information:

Sandi Pniauskas (905) 668-0767, Sandi Pniauskas