SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Alysha Visram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2013 03:44:04 +0000
On June 15th Dr. James Talbot, the Chief Medical Officer of Health for the province of Alberta shared his vision about “The Future of …Health” at the TEDx Edmonton event.  The theme of this year’s event was “The Future of…”  and challenged participants to think about how the future is shaped by the ideas, attitudes and decisions we make and how our actions collectively impact our society. The presenters encouraged the audience to explore new ideas, go beyond their comfort zones and question existing paradigms from a variety of disciplines.

In his presentation, Dr. Talbot the shared the story of public health and challenged dominant perspectives about health as well as the power of collective action. Watch the full presentation here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CiM7TWys6M

…Also follow Dr. James Talbot on Twitter @abtopdoc

About TEDx

TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences. At a TEDx event, TED video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event.

Alysha Visram
Policy Analyst
Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health
24th Floor, Telus Plaza North Tower
10025 Jasper Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 1S6
780.415.2823