SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Pauline McLoughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:46:45 -0400
Increasingly, researchers are arguing that there is a need to ‘act universally’ in
order to address social and health inequalities. While, in theory, universal
approaches to tackling inequalities are valuable, putting them into practice has
proved to be much more difficult. Debates between universal and targeted
approaches continue, both in the public health literature and social policy (a
field with significant bearing on population health). These debates revolve
around ideology and the intuitive appeal of targeting. In this paper, we explore
how these ideologies and logics play out in the design and implementation of
policy, using the Australian Social Inclusion Agenda as a case study. Based on
our analysis, we suggest that a more dialogic approach to working with policy-
makers is required in order to promote reflection on broader tendencies in the
design and implementation of policies.