SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Brian Hyndman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 18:16:44 -0400
The Guardian, April 7, 2015
Life expectancy falls for older UK women

Campaigners point finger at austerity as Public Health England report
shows first decline across all age groups in nearly two decades

Damien Gayle

Cuts to social care may have contributed to a shock fall in life
expectancy for older women, campaigners have said.

Life expectancies for women aged 65, 75, 85 and 95 all fell in 2012
compared with a year earlier, the first slip in all age groups in
nearly two decades.

There was also a small drop in life expectancy for men at ages 85 and
95, while longevity for men in the two younger age groups stagnated,
according to a report published on Tuesday by Public Health England
(PHE).

Although the figures for 2013 did not show any further falls, the life
expectancies for men and women aged 85 and 95 failed to recover to
2011 levels, which were the highest to date.

Age campaigners warned the unexpected decrease in life expectancies
was a “canary in the coal mine”, showing how five years of austerity
was beginning to take its toll on elderly people.

But PHE said it was too early to conclude there was a significant
change in the three-decade-old upward trend in life expectancy. Its
report suggested the falls could be due to flu or bad weather, or even
a statistical blip, although it noted that they were reflected
elsewhere in Europe.

The life expectancy of an average 75-year-old woman in 2013 was 13
years and five weeks, five weeks fewer than people of that age in
2011, according to PHE’s data. Women of 85 could expect to live a
further six years and 42 weeks, two and a half months fewer than their
counterparts of that age two years ago.

The falls come after five years of cuts to social care services,
prompting some campaigners to warn that the government’s austerity
programme could be leaving older people without enough support.

Caroline Abrahams, charity director for Age UK, said: “This decrease
in life expectancy, after many years of improvement, is like the
canary in the coal mine: it is telling us that something has changed
for the worse, so that fewer people are thriving in later life than
they could or should.

“The most obvious likely culprit is the rapid decline of state-funded
social care in recent years, which is leaving hundreds of thousands of
older people to struggle on alone at home without any help.”

The falls in life expectancy come after three decades in which life
expectancy has on average increased by 1.2% for men aged 65 and 0.7%
for women. It is the first time since 1995 that life expectancy has
fallen among women of all four age groups studied, and the fifth time
overall. Each time life expectancies have recovered and continued to
improve.

“Fluctuations in life expectancy at older ages have occurred in the
last 30 years and despite this the trend analysis shows that the
overall trend has been upwards,” PHE’s report said.

Prof John Newton, chief knowledge officer at PHE, said: “There has
been significant interest already in these data. However, the analysis
presented in this report suggests it is too early to conclude that
there has been a significant change in the overall upward trend in
life expectancy at older ages.”

But Prof John Ashton, president of the Faculty of Public Health,
warned against government statisticians dragging their feet over
drawing conclusions from the data.

He said: “This line that Public Health England are taking is slightly
concerning because we have now had this data, this is the second year,
and I’m wondering how many years of data do they need?

“This data is concerning because what we have had historically is a
golden generation born after the first world war that have done very
well with their health. Beginning in the 1970s we have had increasing
numbers of people belonging to that cohort who were living
increasingly long.

“But we have this massive increase in unemployment in the 1980s, which
created a large number of long-term unemployed and we really need to
know what’s happening to these people.”

Ashton said many of those long-term unemployed had in the past few
years been faced with back-to-work assessments, with many reintroduced
to the workforce in cases where this may have been inappropriate.

Echoing the comments made by Age UK, Ashton continued: “We know there
have been these big cuts to social services and social support over
the past few years and we need to know if this is having an effect.”

Now, with the strong possibility of a hung parliament and government
paralysis after the looming election, Ashton said he was concerned the
issue of falling life expectancy could be ignored.

“If this is a real phenomenon, we are not going to have any action on
it for over a year,” he said. “We need to have a conversation about
what we are going to do about this.”