SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:16:08 -0500
Poor pulling Canada down the drain

http://www.nationalpost.8m.com/news303.htm

  Saturday, March 19, 2005

Poor pulling Canada down the drain
By Statz Stinx

Canadian Pez

VANCOUVER • Findings in a new Phaser Institute study suggest it might be
time to stop feeling sorry for the poor and start getting angry at them.
The report claims that the underclass are not only responsible for creating
the country's crushing debt, they are also dragging down the average
standard of living of each and every Canadian.

Institute director Michael (Sky) Walker stated, "Our sophistic
macro-economic research shows that if poor people were rich, they would
contribute more to national economic output and increase government
revenues." The result would be a substantially higher federal revenues
without the need to increase tax rates, claimed Skywalker.

Rectal-linear regressive analysis of Statistics Canada data from the last
20 years provides compelling evidence that if only half of poor people had
been rich during that period, Canada would be debt-free today. "The
irrefutable conclusion from our research," Walker said, "is that poor
people were to blame for our national debt spiralling out of control."

Walker explained how this problem affects our country's standard of living.
"It is statistically significant that if the poor got off their lazy asses
and earned a lot more money, the average income of all Canadians would
increase dramatically."

In closing, Walker noted that there is a simple solution to this problem--
radically lower income tax rates for high earners. He said this will
"encourage more poor people to be rich."