SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:17:36 -0500
We are fast approaching the second anniversary of the SDOH listserv at York
University.

Some modest accomplishments -- whether these are a result of, or  correlate
of, our existance is beyond my means of assessing:

1. The Public Health Agency of Canada established a "National Coordinating
Centre for The Determinants of Health" that has changed its name to "The
National Coordinating Centre for the Social Determinants of Health."

2. The Ontario Public Health Association had a special stream at its recent
conference on "The Determinants of Health."

3. Interior Health Region (BC), Capital Region, Chinook (Alberta),
Peterborough, Perth, and Sudbury health units (Ontario) have become "rogue
health units" by addressing broader issues than fat and tobacco.  Montreal
and Waterloo were doing it anyway. :-)  Others?

4. SDOH: Canadian Perspectives has sold 4251 copies.

5. The Swedish public health approach achieved prominence in Health Canada
consultation dcouments on public health goals.

6. I've received an invitation to give a talk at Case Western University in
Cleveland next year.

7. Managing the listserv has given me a great opportunity to virtually meet
many of you.

Is that it?

I would appreciate hearing of other accomplishments that are related to the
25,245 messages sent over the list.

We have been at 1065 subscribers for close to a year now.  It is hard to
believe that this represents the total number of people on this planet who
would benefit from being members of our community.

Please pass the following message on to tose you care about:

subscribe SDOH your firstname yourlastname

Best wishes,

Dennis Raphael