SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Debra Carnat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:01:50 -0700
Dennis,
We met a few years ago when you presented to City of Calgary Soc Wkrs, and I
managed to worm my way in.  Much to my delight, the Calgary Health Region has
included a reference to the social determinants of health and I think,
inequities, in their annual report, and has included,(although I am lacking on
details), social determinants in it's 10 yr business plan.
Not immediately related, and I don't choose to have this widely publicized, I
have lost the time I had allocated to work around poverty issues.  I am still
continuing to do work around domestic violence as a health issue, and we a few
years ago we brought in to Emerg Depts city- wide routine screening for domestic
violence.  We don't regularly screen ED patients for poverty though.  A group in
Calgary of which I am a member has successfully argued though for reduced cost
transit passes for low income Calgarians, that is certainly some success.
                                        Happy Chanukah, or Seasonal Salutations,
                                                            Debra Carnat