SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Carlos Quinonez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:26:18 -0400
I feel like things should be publicly financed, administered and delivered.

H-ck, maybe publicly financed and administered, and privately delivered.

How 'bout  publicly financed, and privately administered and delivered?

Could you believe privately financed, and publicly administered and delivered?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that right now, considering the
broad range of inarguably and arguably insured and uninsured health
services in Canada, things in effect are already both publicly and
privately financed, and both publicly and privately administered and
delivered.

There are numerous examples of public health care facilities billing
private third party plans, and obviously vice versa.

"Public, private health should co-exist, says CMA"

Well, they already do.

Where I think this whole thing falls apart though, is in the idea that
there is a 'public' and 'private' health. Things can get very dicey
there.

My estimation is that there is only one thing: health.

This, irrespective of the fact that public and private
ideologies/structures/interests/etc may impact health.

I think the argument is made much simpler when it is insisted upon
that the discussion be about our health, as individuals and as a
collection, and this can really only be addressed by individuals and
by our communal action towards our notion of a social right to health
(and health care).

It is the latter that is important, the details will come out the other end.

To be sure, it is clear what Canadians want, the poll currently sits
at roughly 92% NO, and only 8% YES.

And just to throw in my bias, if you ask Canadians, 83% say that
dental care should be part of the public system, yet when you ask them
exactly for who, 'everyone' drops to 66%, with children recognised
next, then seniors, then anyone without private insurance.

Universality rules.

CQ