SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:57:59 -0700
I think that the issue of BMI, Obesity and Fat is that if fat is the culprit of many modern ills, but BMI doesn't not measure up well.

As we all know BMI is calculated based on weight and height.  Where does fat come from in this equation?  This is based on the assumption that the more you weight (give your height), your fat content is higher.  This may not be true, because muscle weights heavier than fat.  If you measure some of the athletes, they may have a much higher BMIs than those that are non-atheletes.  But they have much higher lean body mass than non-athletes.

I don't think that obesity epidemic is the issue here.  We are seeing fater, heavier less physical active children and adults.  Let's admit it.  You see it in your own family.  It's like saying global warming doesn't exist.  However, the major issue to me is that we don't have good measurement.  It may be a faulty research design as opposed to a phenomenon doesn't exist.

Having said that....  I am not arguing the fact that there are people that are making money off of this epidemic.  Just like everything else that we see, where people and corporations bank money on other's suffering. (no proof, just an opinion.)

>>> Steve Cummins <[log in to unmask]> 10/22/07 5:13 AM >>>
Interesting. Even more interesting that in the same magazine this summer
(Aug 19th, 2007) Scientific American published an article (Can Fat Be
Fit?) that refutes most of the arguments they made in the original June
2005 article!

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=3CCA0E80-E7F2-99DF-3ABA97D5027BF4EE&sc=I100322

Some consistency of reporting from the same magazine would be nice -
another example of the media confusing a critical public health issue.

Steve

--
Steven Cummins MSc PhD
Senior Lecturer & NIHR Fellow