SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Goldberg, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 11:24:59 -0500
I actually don't think the well-recognized difficulty in defining pain makes it particularly difficult to design interventions.  Being a devotee of later Wittgenstein, I tend to think we do not need definitions to make meaningful distinctions in our attitudes and practices about pain.  We need to
have some idea of what we typically refer to when we discuss pain, but I don't think a definition consisting of necessary and sufficient conditions is either tenable or even desirable.

In any case, as I certainly don't wish to monopolize this Listserv with details of my own research, I will simply say that my intent is to contend that many of our policy approaches towards improving the undertreatment of pain, while well-intentioned, have little likelihood of meaningful long-term
impact, in no small part because they are typically disconnected from an analysis of the social and cultural factors that drive our imbalanced policies and practices to begin with.  This reflects the general state of health policies in general, of course, at least in the U.S.

Those interested are invited to contact me individually for further details.

--dsg