SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Breen, Nancy (NIH/NCI) [E]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:08:55 -0400
Ann,

The US corollary is the Alameda studies; it was a population-based study
(not civil servants) but it found strong associations between social
determinants and health.  Lisa Berkman was involved and her advisor, Len
Syme.  Nancy Adler has done work in this area as has George Kaplan and
Ichiro Kawachi.  Barbara Starfield has addressed the issue head on. If
you check pub med, you should find enough to get you started. I wrote a
chapter in a book that discusses both social determinants and the
medical care system with a view to trying to sort out which is important
when (Chapter 9 Social Discrimination and Health:  Gender, Race and
Class in the US pp 223-256 in Engendering International Health:  the
Challenge of Equity edited by Gita Sen, Asha George, and Piroska Ostlin.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=zURBbhLPpIQC&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq
=%22Sen%22+%22Engendering+International+Health:+The+Challenge+of+Equity%
22+&ots=paqEIapFmP&sig=Fo73dJZ5ZA1El3pXZW1lKEzlxq4#PPA223,M1 ) The book
was published in 2002 so the chapter is not up to date, but it cites
many sources that could be of help to you.

As to why the US might favor a health care fix rather than one which
addresses social determinants, we need to take a broader view of the way
the US political economy works.  From the  economic point of view widely
held by business that predominates in the US, "fixing" social
determinants is a drain on the economy because it requires government
expenditures which takes away resources for investment in for-profit
sectors of the economy.  Meanwhile providing health care is a highly
profitable sector of the economy (arguably the only one that still is).
Though many economists and most public health practitioners would not
agree with this, it is the view that currently predominates in the US.

Cheers,
Nancy