SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dave Cundiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:09:17 -0800
Thanks to all for an excellent discussion.

Scott, you wrote, "There is, unfortunately, this tendency to forego a
nuanced, proportional response to public health threats."

The PEOPLE are the owners of governmental public health efforts.  If
governmental public health isn't responding sensitively to the
emotions of the people, then the people will stop supporting
governmental public health.

Governmental public health officials bring valuable science, and
important ethical values, into the public discussion.  However, the
public health official must START by acknowledging others' emotions as
legitimate.  Without signs of empathy, it's hard to convey a
scientific public health message about H1N1, or SDOH, or anything else.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Dave Cundiff, MD, MPH
Olympia, WA, USA

***