SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:23:34 -0500

[from Politics of Health Group list]

Dear PoHG people

 I hope that by now you have all had a chance to look at UK Health Watch
2005 on the PoHG website:  www.pohg.org.uk  Already we are getting vastly
more hits on the website and we are keen to keep the 'Watch' up to date.
We would welcome further articles, views and comments.   We would
particularly like items that address the gaps in the current report for
example: on mental health, gender and race inequalities, the impact of
devolution  - but we are not seeking to be too prescriptive - we really
want challenging and well argued articles that will make our readers sit up
and think.

 The criteria for publication appear below.  Please note that we do have to
apply these quite strictly.  All contributions will be reviewed and
approved by the editorial panel, whose decision is final. We would like to
have the first wave of updates/ new articles on the website by the end of
January and it would be helpful to receive them by 31 December.

 Thanks

 Maggie Winters

 PUBLISHING CRITERIA

 Membership of PoHG

We accept articles from PoHG list members and non members.

 Reflects PoHG values / manifesto see  www.pohg.org.uk

 Non-discriminatory

Articles that use discriminatory language of any form will not be accepted.

 Relevance

Articles should clearly relate to one of the topics listed below*, and may
include:

• New research which emphasizes the policy relevance of research findings
in relation to the chosen ‘health’ indicators, rather than purely
theoretical and methodological issues;
• Critical analysis and discussion;
• Case studies either of individual countries within the UK, or of a
comparative nature across the UK;
• Individual or community stories based on experience.

Succinct

The editorial team retain the right to edit articles accordingly.  Articles
should be between 500 and 2000 words.

 Stimulating

The article or piece generates discussion, and may cover new ground or old
ground with fresh eyes.

 Valid/accurate

Statements are backed up by evidence where possible – otherwise state
reason why evidence is unclear or missing to justify indicator.

*Topics

Devolution – items on Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Mental health

Gender

Human rights

Poverty reduction

Macro economics:

Disability

Environment

Impacts of new legislation on health

Trends in UK health care incl eg. Limitations of medical model, distortions
created by targets

Pharmaceutical industry

Labour market

EU policy

Environment

Holding goverment, EU organisations and business etc to account – are
different policies working with or against stated priorities on equalities?

Young people