SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:45:02 -0800
From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
I assume that you are talking about in the US, and not globally.  IMHO,
the issue is not whether "English" is offical language or not.  As a way
to communicate verbally, I think that there needs to be a "common"
language that everyone speaks and understands.  However, I know some
(many) instances (not sure about US) in other countries, that many
indigenous people lost their language and cuture, because they were
forced to adopt the "official" language, meaning that they were
forbideen to speak their native tongue in schools and in public
gathering places.  As a result, many of the children grown up not able
to speak their native tongues, "assimillated" into the "dominant
culture", and not knowing their own culture and history.  This is what I
see as a problem.  And I wholeheartedly agree with you that our methods
of communication (whether through body, spoken or written language)
should be "tolerance, understanding, and respect for diversity."

From: [log in to unmask]: [log in to unmask]: RE: I
Wonder If This is True?Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:50:00 +0000

I was wondering why is it that certain people are so concerned about
English being the "official" language? Historically, the American
Indians (native Americans) inhabited this land when the British
colonialists landed; before that Christopher Columbus, who was Italian
came to the "New World" through the auspices of the Spanish Monarchy.
Fully one third the U.S.A. used to be part of Mexico (what we now know
as Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California). Another third was obtained
from France, and Alaska was bought from Russia. Hawaii was an
independent country before the US decided to make it one of its states.
It is true that a lot of people speak English, but we have a lot of
people who speak other languages. I've heard that there are so many
people originally from Mexico in Chicago, that if they lived in Mexico,
it would be the second or third largest city in Mexico.  There are also
many people here whose native language is Polish, Arabic, Korean,
Indian, black English, to name a few.   Are not these people "red
blooded" Americans also? Do they not deserve the same respect and
dignity that we all expect? War and political unrest has displaced
millions of people in the world. My family & I were displaced because of
the conflict in the Middle East.  My father never was able to learn the
English language, but he did know seven other languages.  Our official
language should be tolerance, understanding, and respect for diversity.>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:12:38 -0800> From: [log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: Fw: I Wonder If This is True?> To: [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[...]
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]> > > --- Pete Atienza
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:> > > From: "Pete Atienza"
<[log in to unmask]>> > To: "Stephanie A. Perez"
<[log in to unmask]>> > Subject: Fw: I Wonder If This is True?> >
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:57:57 -0600> > > > > > ----- Original Message
----- > > From: e gonzales > > To: Artemio Cajigal ; Brigitte Corpuz ;
Chit Floro ;> > digna simpao ; eden aurelio ; elpidio mariano ;> > james
sales ; Marilou Tinio ; mike zmuda ; Normi> > Marilim ; Pete Atienza ;
Rose Ancheta ; tony bernas > > Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 1:57 PM>
> Subject: Fw: I Wonder If This is True?> > > > > > > > ----- Original
Message ----- > > From: [log in to unmask] > > To: [log in to unmask] > >
Cc: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] > > Sent: Saturday, November 03,
2007 12:03 PM> > Subject: Fwd: I Wonder If This is True?> > > > > > In a
message dated 11/3/2007 9:52:13 AM Eastern> > Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:> > > > > > 33 Senators Voted Against
English as America 's> > Official Language June 6, 2007 > > > > > > > >
Riley USA ret" wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Senators,> > > > >
> Bill 1348, to make English America's offical> > language is
astounding. On D-Day no less when we> > honor those that sacrificed in
order to secure the> > bedrock character and principles of America I
can> > only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal> > aliens. >
what your> > religion is, whether you're black, white or some> > other
color, male or female, democrat, republican or> > independent, but I do
care when you're a United> > States Senator, representing citizens of
America and> > vote against English as the official language of the> >
United States > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your vote reflects
betrayal, political surrender,> > violates your pledge of allegiance,
dishonors> > historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on> >
traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you> > unfit to serve as a
United States Senator...> > impeachment, recall, or other appropriate
action is> > warrented. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Worse, 4 of you
voting against English as America> > 's official language are
presidential candidates:> > Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator
Dodd, and> > Senator Obama. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Those 4
Senators vying to lead America but won't> > or don't have the courage to
cast a vote in favor of> > English as America's official language when
91% of> > American citizens want English officially designated> > as our
language. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > This is the second time in the
last several months> > this list of Senators have disgraced themselves
as> > political hacks... unworthy as Senators and> > certainly
unqualifed to serve as President of the> > United States. > > > > > > >
back-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out> > of your
panties.. and preferably, totally out of the> > United States Senate. >
your> > action only confirms this really isn't about America> > ; it's
about self-serving politics... despicable at> > best. > > > > > > > >
"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down> > to their level and
beat you with experience." ~> > anonymous > > > > > > > > The following
senators voted against making> > English the official language of
America : > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Akaka (D-HI) > > > > > > > >
Bayh (D-IN) > > > > > > > > Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?> > > > >
> > > Bingaman (D-NM) > > > > > > > > Boxer (D-CA) > > > > > > > >
Cantwell (D-WA) > > > > > > > > Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?> >
President?> > > > > > > > Domenici (R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate>
> seat...> > > > > > > > Durbin (D-IL) > > > > > > > > Feingold (D-WI)
Not unusual for him > > > > > > > > Feinstein (D-CA) > > > > > > > >
Harkin (D-IA) > > > > > > > > Inouye (D-HI) > > > > > > > > Jeffords
(I-VT) > > > > > > > > Kennedy (D-MA) > > > > > > > > Kerry (D-MA)
Wanted to be President > > > > > > > > Kohl (D-WI) > > > > > > > >
Lautenberg (D-NJ) > > > > > > > > Leahy (D-VT) > > > > > > > > Levin
(D-MI) > > > > > > > > Lieberman (D-CT) Disappointment here.....> > > >
Murray (D-WA) > > > > > > > > Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President? > > >
Leader> > > > > > > > Salazar (D-CO) > > > > > > > > Sarbanes (D-MD) > >
> "Congressmen who willfully take actions during> > wartime that damage
morale, and undermine the> > military are saboteurs and should be
arrested,> > exiled or hanged." > > > > > > > > ~ President Abraham
Lincoln " Amen " > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Please forward to as
many people as you know. WE> > NEED THIS INFORMATION PASSED ON TO EVERY
RED-BLOODED> > AMERICAN!!!!!! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around >
http://mail.yahoo.com

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café.
Stop by today!
Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live
OneCare!

the subject header --  to [log in to unmask]

SIGNOFF SDOH

DO NOT SEND IT BY HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON. THIS SENDS THE MESSAGE TO
THE ENTIRE LISTSERV AND STILL DOES NOT REMOVE YOU.

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header.

Include in the Subject, its content, and location and date, if
relevant.

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
SET SDOH DIGEST

To view the SDOH archives, go to:
https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html