SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Sender:
From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:04:25 -0400
The following appeared in my inbox this morning.

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:35:22 -0700
Subject: [NC Announce] Save the First Nations University

Hi folks

A friend asked me to help out with this campaign for the First Nations
University in Saskatchewan. I'm sure that as the NDP Indian Affairs critic,
Jean Crowder supports the funding and ongoing operation of this University,
the only native run university in the country. There are 3 links below for
petitions, letters and blogs and a video that all provide information and
actions. I have copied a sample letter below

Petition
http://keghart.com/Support_FNUC

Blog, sample letters, actions etc
http://fnuniv.wordpress.com/

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zc1xmmQlOY

thanks
Paul Manly
250 729-1254

Chuck Strahl and Stephen Harper email addresses
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]

Sample letter

Dear Mr. Strahl and Mr. Harper,

I am deeply concerned at the seeming indifference the Government of Canada
is displaying toward the faculty, staff, and students at First Nations
University who will be casualties of your irresponsible decision to close
down the only Aboriginal university in Canada.

The closure of First Nations University would be unprecedented in Canada –
no other Canadian university has ever been closed.  I fear that such a
closure could reflect deep-seated racial antipathy toward First Nations people.

The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations has shown good faith in
initiating the changes required to bring the governance structures at First
Nations University into conformity with those of other universities.  A
working group with representation from all stakeholder groups is currently
developing a revised funding and governance model for First Nations
University. The University of Regina has expressed its willingness to
support First Nations University.

Therefore I find it incomprehensible that the government continues to pursue
a course of action that in the long run will be detrimental to all
Aboriginal people, to the province of Saskatchewan and to Canada’s
international reputation.

I urge you, in the strongest terms, to support the continued operation of
First Nations University.

--
Ocean
Blog: economicus ridiculous - exercises in miserly minimalism