SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Brad Crammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:44:47 +0530
Faraz Vahid Shahidi has responded to our paper, suggesting that we are
class apologists and giving us an introductory lesson on class and
Marxism. In so doing he has rather missed the nuance of the argument
being made.

There is no suggestion in our paper that class does not 'set limits' on
what people may achieve. Obviously a person's class position affects her
opportunities in life.

What we do argue, however, is that class has fractured considerably in
the almost 150 years since Marx published Capital. To understand health
behaviours and their differences among different groups we need to
consider that class is more complicated than the dichotomy of workers
and capitalists, or the sliding scales of income quintile or education
level. There are many many structural influences that set limits on the
opportunities a person enjoys and privileging one measure over all
others is to the detriment of our ability to accurately describe the
ways people behave.

Public health can continue to treat some abstract concept of class as
the complete explanation for all differences in health behaviour. It has
taken this position consistently in the 40 years since the first
Whitehall study. In that time, we have been spectacularly unsuccessful
at describing why people choose the health behaviours they do, or why
some of these behaviours are associated with certain class positions. If
we are to advance at all it might be worth engaging instead with all of
the useful sociology and social theory that has occurred in the last
century.

--
Brad Crammond BA LLB LLM PhD
Adjunct Research Fellow