SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:18:46 +0000

-----Original Message-----

The Unequal Pandemic: COVID-19 and Health Inequalities By Clare Bambra, Julia Lynch and Katherine E. Smith

It has been claimed that we are ‘all in it together’ and that the COVID-19 virus ‘does not discriminate’.

This accessible, yet authoritative book dispels this myth of COVID-19 as an ‘equal opportunity’ disease, by showing how the pandemic is a syndemic of disease and inequality.

Drawing on international data and accounts, it argues that the pandemic is unequal in three ways: it has killed unequally, been experienced unequally and will impoverish unequally.

These inequalities are a political choice: with governments effectively choosing who lives and who dies, we need to learn from COVID-19 quickly to prevent growing inequality and to reduce health inequalities in the future.

COVID-19 is an unequal pandemic.

Available here: https://policy.bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/the-unequal-pandemic

Politics of Health Group Mail List Messages