SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Sandy Yilmaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:25:58 -0500
In the grand scheme of things, people went from 'personnel' to 'human resources', and we all know the attitude business has towards resources.

From: w gail richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 2005/11/20 Sun PM 08:48:14 EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SDOH] economic argument for poverty solutions

Persuasive arguments may advance the importance of poverty in the academic
world but not the actual policies. Or if it does impact policy development,
there is not always implementation of the policy in an effective way. Or the
political will does not match the evidence. Reality is that not that many
decision makers use research, and those that do, weight academic research or
argument as less than other contextual evidence such as existing cultures,
values, beliefs and attitudes with in the system, organization or individual
responsible for early childhood development. A Canadian example is Kyoto
where the evidence pointed towards policies of emission reduction, decision
makers agreed, and even set timelines, and as Canadians we did not meet our
objectives for reduction. Where do you think the glitch came in? I think
likely in the argument between politicians and business, not the academic
and the politicians. Another point is you would be hard pressed to find a
decision maker who read Keating & Hertzman or Hartly & Risely.

Cheers, Gail

  _____