SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Robert C Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:26:43 -0600
When my kids were lazy and were doing things that they should not have
done, I disagreed with it and tolerated it too long, and then kicked them
out of a guaranteed home and annual income.

When they had a chance to deal with the world directly, they decided to
come back and play by the house rules.

These are kids with good hearts, good examples, and good schools and
eventually with a good parent team

Currently my daughter does not work, because she has finally figured out
that the menial jobs that should can get without high school or some
college are not worth having. However the stress of not having income is
upon her and her progress in education is also dramatic.

Chances are good that they will eventually make it.

Although my heart goes out to those in poverty in the thousands of ways
that we ignore people, there is the important element of what will be
accepted and what will become legislation and action.

Harping against a conservative dominated world is not going to help.
Huge new funded programs are not likely to gain acceptance and
implementation.
Innovative smaller efforts might provide some relief and gain approval, but
not substantial.
Embarrasing governments about the way they treat children and the way they
fail to give them development, education, and opportunity such that they
can become working contributors to society is a difficult thing to oppose.

If the media does its job exposing the truth and we feed them the truth,
then there is little to stand in the way.

Governments can always contest the programs for adults since adults to make
some of their decisions and consequences. It is hard for governments to
fault children that had no part in their lot in life.

Robert C. Bowman, M.D.
www.ruralmedicaleducation.org