SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Graham Vimpani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:15:10 +1100
The SDOH list serv may also be interested in the futurist interim report of the Australian National Health and Hospitals Reform Commission that completely ignored the issues promoted by this listserv, Marmot, Wilkinson and others that health status is inextricably linked to the distribution of incomes in society. Interestingly the reviews last week of Wilkinson and Pickett's "The Spirit Level" flag the fact that the greatest national income gaps are in the US, UK and Portugal.  What they don't mention is that Australia is next!  It's been left up to groups like Children's Hospitals Australasia to critique the absence of this perspective and its implications for Australia in the report.

http://www.nhhrc.org.au/internet/nhhrc/publishing.nsf/Content/interim-report-december-2008

Graham

Professor Graham Vimpani AM
Clinical Chair
Kaleidoscope in Greater Newcastle
Hunter Children's Health Network
Locked Bag 1
Hunter Region Mail Centre
NSW.  2310
Australia
Head of the Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health
University of Newcastle

Phone +612 4921 3673
Fax +612 4921 3599
mobile 0408 484 427
>>> Maija Kagis <[log in to unmask]> 03/21/09 12:42 AM >>>
And Dennis, you were right to be annoyed: I think we should all be very
annoyed, and perhaps ask that the analysis be expanded. This is so much the
same old same old.

  _____