SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Donna Appavoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:15:06 -0400
Maybe they could consider supporting healthy eating recommendations
such as those currently being proposed in Brazil.  These
recommendations favour community over corporations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/brazil-takes-an-unambiguous-new-approach-to-fighting-fat/article17496796/

Donna Appavoo
PhD Candidate
Department of Geography
University of Waterloo

Quoting Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>:

Please add!

Recommendations to Heart and Stroke Foundation

1. How about asking them to introduce a Health Equity Impact
Assessment to all their programs/services?

2. HEIA is great for them to introduce internally, but their external
messaging to the public, decisions makers, etc needs to reflect the
SDoH language and concepts as it is currently dominated by lifestyle?

3. I would challenge them to have their guidelines committees consider
the evidence linking SDOH to cardiovascular disease, and to take a
position on that evidence, including on universal screening for SDOH
as a risk to CV health, incorporation of SDOH assessments as a key
element of individual and population risk assessment, incorporation of
SDOH elements into commonly used clinical decision-making tools (for
screening, treatment, etc.), and on population and individual level
interventions into SDOH as a way of mitigating the known impact.  They
should be also be pushed to declare SDOH to be central to the work of
health providers in reducing the incidence and impact of CV
conditions.

4. You could refer to the new document hot off the press,

March 4, 2014 - For Immediate Release:
Poverty as the ?new? chronic disease: reflections from the field

Despite the decades of evidence which clearly indicates that poverty
is in fact the leading cause of poor health, provincially, nationally,
and globally, we remain unable (or unwilling) to eliminate it.
Poverty, as a key determinant of health, limits one?s ability to
access health services, increases the likelihood of exposure to
conditions that contribute to ill health, including unsafe and
unstable housing conditions, and reduces opportunities to engage in
the political processes that shape communities and govern distribution
of resources. Further, the stigmatization associated with poverty
itself contributes to poor health, as does the physical and emotional
stress of social and economic marginalization that can degrade both
the individual as well as the social bonds that serve as the
foundation of our communities.

While many of us may share the belief that ?proactive healthcare is
the best way to restore long-term wealth to our province,? we do not
agree that promoting health is as simple as making good ?lifestyle
choices?. Rather than singling out individuals who, for a variety of
complex reasons, finds themselves living in poverty, the
responsibility for promoting health ought to be shared by our
communities as a whole. Further, it falls to those of us who are
fortunate enough to have stable housing, nutritious food, high-quality
education and the ability to shape public policy to support the
empowerment and participation of those who have not had similar
opportunities.

Perhaps most importantly, we must be mindful to avoid perpetuating the
marginalization of those living in poverty; whether through ascribing
blame, or through failing to meaningfully engage individuals living in
poverty as equal partners in our efforts to address its impacts on
health. Health can be an individual responsibility only insofar as we
provide equal access to the determinants of health. Tackling the
underlying drivers of poor health requires us to come together to
affect sustainable, structural change; not only as professionals
within the health field, but also as citizens of Nova Scotia. It
should not come as a surprise that to be healthy, people need to live
in healthy, safe, and affordable communities. This is something to
which we must all contribute. After all, we are at our best ? and our
healthiest ? when we are working together, and this can only be done
when we regard each other with compassion and respect.
To illustrate our position, we suggest having a look at the 2006 World
Health Organization report that clearly outlines the ways in which
poverty shapes health, and the decades of research that has led to
this conclusion. It may prove particularly helpful for those in
decision-making roles related to health to review this document. By
doing so, we hope that, at the very least, we can see an increase in
the number of Nova Scotians who share a belief that poverty represents
the chronic disease to which we must all urgently attend.

From: The Public Health Association of Nova Scotia
Contact Person: Jacqueline Gahagan, PhD, Professor of Health
Promotion, [log in to unmask]

Get a free copy of Social Determinants of Health: The Canadian Facts
at http://thecanadianfacts.org

See what Jack Layton had to say about my books!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/04/10/cv-election-ndp-layton-platform.html
at  27:20

Dennis Raphael, PhD
Professor of Health Policy and Management
Graduate Program Director, Health Policy and Equity
York University
4700 Keele Street
Room 418, HNES Building
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
416-736-2100, ext. 22134
email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://jasper.yorku.ca/draphael

Of interest:

*NEW*
Tackling Health Inequalities: Lessons from International Experiences
Foreword by Alex Scott-Samuel
http://www.cspi.org/books/tackling_health_inequalities

Poverty in Canada, 2nd edition,
Forewords by Rob Ranier and Jack Layton
http://www.cspi.org/books/poverty_canada

About Canada: Health and Illness
http://tinyurl.com/2c2tm6l

Health Promotion and Quality of Life in Canada: Essential Readings
http://tinyurl.com/3C8zteu

Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives, 2nd edition,
Forewords by Carolyn Bennett and Roy Romanow
http://tinyurl.com/3fkbr8u

Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health
Care, 2nd edition
Foreword by Gary Teeple
http://tinyurl.com/4xlu4up

See a lecture!  The Politics of Population Health.
http://msl.stream.yorku.ca/mediasite/viewer/?peid=ac604170-9ccc-4268-a1af-9a9e04b28e1d

Also, presentation at the University of Toronto on how Canada stacks
up again other nations in providing citizens with economic and social
security.
http://vimeo.com/33346501

To leave, manage or join list:
https://listserv.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=sdoh&A=1