SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
John Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:25:39 +0000
Melissa Raven has done us all a great service by sharing this article

It is not just the mental health profession (often overworked) and the pharma industry who are obstacles to a more rational and compassionate view of people in distress, we have created a popular culture which seems set to medicalise sorrow and despair.

We have done a little study with the wonderful Suicide Prevention Network on the Central Coast of NSW. The study  is called "Pathways to Despair" (http://issuu.com/mhirc/docs/mhirc_2.pathways/1) because, however useful it may be to label some people as being "depressed", this can often be another way to hide from the social factors behind such tragic events. A famous and otherwise great doctor in Australia continues to say that 90% of people killing themselves are "mentally ill".

A plea: this study is done on men. I have found an unfortunate resistance even in progressive SDOH colleagues to any suggestion that SDOH is an essential way forward to understand not only suicide, but male health. If you feel resistance to this notion, please exercise your rational and compassionate nature when you read the paper, which is subtitled The Social Determinants of Male Suicide.

John

Professor John Macdonald
Foundation Chair in Primary Health Care,
Director, Men’s Health Information and Resource Centre
University of Western Sydney
Box 1797 Penrith 2751 Australia
061245701123
Fax 061245701522