SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2012 01:42:27 +1030
Thanks John, this looks interesting and useful.

Related to your comment about resistance to the relevance of SDOH to
suicide, I have found that many SDOHers seem to drop their critical SDOH
perspective when any so-called mental health issue is discussed, deferring
to psychiatric experts and accepting medicalization and individualisation of
distress, suicide, problematic child behaviour etc. SDOHers are often happy
to quote statistics of so-called mental illness as evidence of socially
determined objective morbidity rather than socially constructed reductionist
framing/interpretation of social problems.

Cheers
Melissa