SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Saroj Jayasinghe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:23:47 -0800
Dear All

I wish to introduce myself to the Group. I am a
physician (Internal Medicine) from Sri Lanka working
as a Professor in the Department of Clinical Medicine,
Universiy of Colombo, Sri Lanka. As a clinician I
constantly see the role of societal strutures and
determinants during the path from health to
ill-health. Partly as a result of this, I have had a
long term interest in public health, ethics of policy
and social determinants. I was a co-organizer of a
postgraduate diploma in health development which had
used the social determinants approach of health.

I am currently on sabbatical leave in the UK and
working as a locum physician while persuing my
interest at the Department of Epidemiology and Public
Health, University College Hospital, London, UK.

The latter opportunity enabled me to interact with
members of the WHO Commission on Social Determinants
of Health (e.g. Prof Sir Michael Marmot who chairs the
Commission). As a result of these links, I was able to
facilitate work in Sri Lanka via the Ministry of
Health. My interim goal is for Sri Lanka to work with
the Commission as a Country Partner. In the long-term
we want Sri Lanka to be a more peaceful, prosperous
and just place to live. Currently I am working on a
framework to incorporate the social determinants
approach at a country level. We completed a wrokshop
for health professionals and other groups last week in
Sri Lanka on Health Inequalities and Social
Determinants of Health. More work is planned in the
future and a Mission from WHO is expected in being
planned. Work can be slow and difficult, because of
resource contraints and general resistance to new
ideas!

I am also happy to note that in Sri Lanka several
civil society groups have taken the lead and been
active in the area of Social Determinants, for quite
some time.

We would welcome resource materials, sources for
further resource materials, links to conferences and
other discussion groups. Once we have our webpage
running, we could distribute it to this group too.

Saroj Jayasinghe
Physician and Professor
Department of Clinical Medicine
Faculty of Medicine
University of Colombo
Hon Research Fellow
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
University College London
London
UK

Permanant address: