Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2024 20:09:20 +0000
Sender:
Tis no problem at all. Twain read a Joel Chandler Harris tar baby story
at the Pearl Street AME Zion Church on that date. This church was listed
in Geer's Hartford directory as the AME Zion Church at 269 Pearl Street
in the 1870s. In 1926 it moved to its current location at 2051 Main
Street into a building originally built in 1873-1874 for a white ME
congregation. The pastor of this church, Rev. Samuel Blanks, was a
participant in the panel discussion following my talk on George Griffin
in Hartford last month. Griffin was Mark Twain's butler and a deacon in
that church. You can read all about Mr. Griffin in the latest issue of
the Mark Twain Journal.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books