From:
ALAN REESE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1993 16:15:19 -0500
 I am reading _Twice Upon A Time_ by Allen Appel, an interesting little
novel
about time travel which features G.A. Custer and Mark twain as central
characters. In chapter 37, the main character, alex Balfour,
 recalls these panoramic paintings he studied in school. Some of these
paintings
were reported to have been three miles in length. they were exhibited on
rollers
around the country apparently.
        I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about American history
especially
    its
peculiarities, but don't recall this one. Anyone have knowledge of whether
this
is evidence of Mr. appel's research or imagination?
Hereis the passage in question:
"Alex had studied the history of american art in graduate school. He
remembered
        a dwscription of the great panorama paintings of the 1870's, a des.
he
thought exaggerated, since none of the paintings exist today except in
fragments. Bit, as he floated down the Mississippi, he began to believe.
     The masive panoramas were invented by enterprising showmen to satisfy
the
curiosity of an american public fascinated by the Miss.R. Although
civilization
had spread to the far western coast, most of the population had never, and
would never, travel on, nor even see the great river.
   ...These immense works,one of which was said to be three miles in length,
were hauled around the country and exhibited in circuslike tents, for a
price,
to eager audiences. Both ends of the painting were attached to huge rollers
The paintings would be rolled from one end to another as the audience
imagined
themselves comfortably floating the length of the mighty river...quite
suddenly the fad withered and died, and the showmen dumped the paintings..."
Now I think about it they remind me of those huge screen features where the
audience is given the sensation of flying over a canyon or riding a roller
coaster. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Alan C. Reese
Baltimore, MD