From:
"ALAN C. REESE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1993 00:41:31 -0500
I have just returned from the conference in Elmira on "The State of Mark
Twain ?
   Studies" where I saw Andy Hoffman present a paper in which he proposes
that
Twain had several romantic relationships with men most notably Dan de Quille
and Clement Rice during his Virginia City days. Mr. Hoffman is presently
working on a general interest bio. of MT for Wm. Morrow which will be
published
in '94. An early announcement of this supposition is certain to generate
discussion and controversy, two conditions which will surely boost sales.
Mr.
Hoffman's motives may be pure and scholarly, but it's difficult not to call
those motives into question based on the scant evidence he has built his own
Coit Tower on for public display.
What do you think out there? Is it a possibility that Twain bedded down with
bohemian buddies since female companionship was scarce and costly? If so,
does
it help us to better understand his work, the lack of sexually mature women
characters for example?
I have some thoughts, but let us hear from you on this newest wrinkle in the
shaping of our revered public figures.

Alan C. Reese
Baltimore, MD