From:
Joe Alvarez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 1994 14:32:50 -0500
Dear Fellow Twainians,
        I am interested in following up on the relatively well-known
references to Frederick Douglass (Howells letter to SLC, SLC to Livy,
SLC's letter to Garfield endorsing Douglass for federal job) in
Mark Twain correspondence and/or documents.  I know they supposedly met
through the Langdon family connection, but little else (documentary)
seems to have surfaced.
        Prof. Lucinda MacKethan at NC State U did publish a paper (circa
1986)
linking the two, in part through text material in "Huckleberry Finn" and
Douglass's autobiographies.
        Replies would be greatly appreciated, especially if there could
be some response between 4 and 5 (EST) PM today.  I will be demonstrating
some uses of the Internet for my departmental colleagues, and an almost
"real-time" message would highlight the demonstration.  By the way, this
is not just a scavenger-hunt request.  I really want to pursue the
connection (if any) between FD and SLC, and I have consulted the Union
Serial List of Twain correspondence, which yielded nothing more than I
already had.

Joe Alvarez