From:
"Martin D. Zehr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:18:48 +0000
At the time Twain wrote this item, which appeared in the 1875 printing of
sketches, the Irish composed the most recent wave of immigrants of any size,
with the Chinese segment growing, especially after the 1867 treaty with
china, but before the chinese exclusion act of 1881.  Twain was well
informed regarding the chinese immigration, through his california
experiences and friendship with anson burlingame, an emissary and negotiator
of the U.S. treaty with china, the subject of a twain editorial in an 1867
edition of the NY Herald Tribune(?).  the sketch can be read as a wry
comment on the substitution of one abused immigrant population for another.
martin zehr, kansas city, missouri
From: Xilao Li <[log in to unmask]>