From:
"ALAN C. REESE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1993 21:41:14 -0500
Who would this "solid share of responsible Twain scholars, 19th cent.
American and american west" constitute. I don't think it would include
Lawrence berkove, Jim wilson, Lou Budd, Vic Doyno, Stanley Brodwin, and
many others I spoke with. It was my impression that the consensus of
opinion at Elmira was 10 to 1 against this hypothesis. Many considered
it laughable, a rag hoisted on a cardboard flagpole.

The best construct? Is it possible that Twain's sexual encounters were
limited to prostitutes or the practice of the science of onanism? And
frankly, who cares? How much light does this truly shed on the body of
literature left to us, and I think that is the body I am really interested
in, so I think I will get back to that and leave andy to paw over the
corpse of S. Clemens. Here I'm afraid I'm raising the ugly head of the
argument over critical approaches and I don't mean to. I prefer to let that
one rest.

        I will reserve judgment on the Hoffman Twain bio. until it comes
out,
but it won't be one I add to my professional shelf.

Yours,

A. Hominem