From:
"M. O'Conner" <C359452@MIZZOU1>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1992 11:14:40 CST
I, too, must take exception to Robert Dagnell's view that
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a "dinosaur" in regard to
contemporary relevance.  And, I would argue that the book should
continue to be taught on the high school level.

Back in the early 80's, I was herded into a room while I was
visiting a conference on the Centennial of Huck Finn, here at the
University of Missouri.  Someone had ask for high school teachers
of the novel to volunteer to be interviewed about the book.  Once
in the room with four other English teachers, we were told that we
were to debate a man named John Wallace, who wanted to have Huck
Finn banned from all high schools because the book was "racist
trash." The edited debate ended up on the MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour
a few weeks later.

I say all this not to blow my own horn, but because I was so
inadequately prepared for such a debate. I often wish I could
return to that moment then knowing what I know now.

I could go on and on about this, but to be painfully brief, I
firmly believe that no other book in existence teaches the lessons
which Huck Finn teaches.  This portrayal of an disempowered
individual who has been "educated" (read corrupted) into a strong
acceptance of a powerful social institution (here slavery, but
substitute any social institution you wish) being able to overcome
and resist that "education"  through personal experience and heart
rendering loyalty to a friend is unparalleled in all of literature.
Twain's ironic and purposeful overuse of the "n-word" simply
furthers his social satire.

Michael O'Conner, University of Missouri