Sender:
From:
Rivka Swenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:09:59 -0400
Hi, All.
I need to ask your help.  I'm doing an inquiry into _Roughing It_--my
focus is critical, not biographical.  My interest was sparked by Peter
Stoneley's _Mark Twain and the Feminine Aesthetic_; Stonelely discusses
_Roughing It_ as Twain's effort to create an exclusively maculine
aesthetic and to lovingly depict a world without women and more or less
bereft of the constraints of civilized tradition (as MT says, they "left
'the States' behind," and found "complete and satisfying happiness"). So,
I'm looking at the "homosocial" impulse (not necessarily the same as
"homosexual," okay?).

Does anyone know of any work done on this topic
since Stoneley?  Does anyone have any "leads" or information they could
share with me? I have the feeling there was some work done, along these
lines, on Huck Finn, but I can't think of the book.

If anyone has any related info, in general, or any specific stuff
regarding _Roughing It_, I'd be very, very grateful.

Thanks,

Rivka Swenson