Sender:
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:22:48 -0400
On April 21, 1995, Brian Collins wrote, in regard to my comments on mob
mentality in Twain:

And yet with all his keen understanding of mobs and demagogues, he could so
idealize leadership?

There is a difference between leadership and mob rule which you seem to have
missed.
Mobs rarely have leaders; they merely are mobs, people acting without plan
or
actual pupose except for the desire for instant gratification of some
impulse
or another. The impulse, upon later reflection, is usually found to be evil
or, at the very least, what the social workers like to call "acting out,"
or,
"inappropriate."
Leadership, on the other hand, implies purpose, whether for good or evil. At
least with leadership there is a 50-50 chance of good coming to the fore.
Even congress can be seen as a mob, especially when it comes election time
and all those up for re-election, as well as the new candidates, begin
demagoging about whatever the hot topic of the day is. An example?
Our representatives here in Connecticut have already joined the herd by not
failing to mention the death penalty at least 2 or 3 times during interviews
about the OK City mess.
Marcus W. Koechig