Sender:
From:
"Carl J. Chimi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 19:43:06 -0500
Folks,

The other day I watched an old Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force, wherein Hal
Holbrook plays a crooked cop. That made me realize that I haven't ever seen
his 1967 taped production of Mark Twain Tonight.  I saw him perform it live
in Boston when I was young, in 1973 and maybe 1979.  I remember being
mesmerized and thrilled to see a live representation of my hero on a stage.

I downloaded and watched the 1967 Mark Twain Tonight just now.  I was blown
away with how good Hal Holbrook was.  The makeup was amazing for 1967;
although he doesn't look exactly like the 70-year-old Mark Twain, his own
Hal Holbrook look seems to nearly disappear within the Mark Twain persona.

Even when he was recreating well known stories such as The Golden Arm, he
still managed to completely hold my short little span of attention by his
use of unexpected sounds and voices, and with his impeccable timing.  His
take on Jim Blaine was just hilarious, and somehow made me feel it is a
quintessential American story.  His more serious remarks were well chosen
for 1967 and for any time after that, too.

In short, a true masterpiece of acting.

Does anyone know if Clara or her daughter ever saw Holbrook perform Mark
Twain?

Regards,

Carl