Sender:
From:
Ryota Iijima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:30:46 +0900
Wesley Britton ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> I remember going to Hannibal on Memorial Day in 1985 and joing in a town party lining
> Hill St.  Up the hill, a series of rock bands played ZZ Top and the like
> while the community sat around in lounge chairs and such and had a great evening
> out.  I recall thinking, had young Sam Clemens
> grown up in the rock era, he'd have been up on that Hannibal stage just like
> John Lennon or Keith Richards or the like, playing music
> and having a great time.
> Just a flash of humor, but never made much of it
> until your note.  Maybe I was onto something . . .
> can you see Twain as a young Elvis?
>
> the unthinkable
> wes britton

When I read <i>Was Huck Black?: Mark Twain and African-American Voices</i>,
especially when I was reading the passage where it tells about Twain loving and
singing African-American songs, I was reminded of young Elvis Presley and Eric
Clapton.  Although Clapton is not American, he is a white man who loves African-
American music.  He and Twain sang the same song like "Swing Low, Sheet
Chariot."

Ryota Iijima