Sender:
From:
"Kevin. Mac Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:08:34 -0600
. Twain's
> writings on the environmental impact of imperialism can be traced back
> to his 1866 trip to Hawaii which resulted in his first commentaries on the
> "disease of civilization."
Jim Zwick

But does Twain's use of environmental evidence (among other kinds of
evidence) to indict imperialism demonstrate environmental awareness in the
same sense as John Muir, John Burroughs, or Rachel Carson? I think an
extended study of Twain's "environmental" and "pastoral" writings would be
worthwhile, and maybe quite surprising when they are all gathered together
in one place. I'm not saying he was not environmentally aware, but I am
urging caution against overstating his degree of awareness. I've placed my
bet (a granola bar and sparkling mineral water) and would be happy to lose
my wager.

Kevin Mac Donnell
Austin TX