Sender:
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 21:26:10 -0500
Does any additional information exist on the following individuals who
were a part of Mark Twain's travels in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) in
1866:

1.  Mr. G. Armstrong and his sister-in-law.  Armstrong knew Clemens
from Virginia City, Nevada and Clemens stayed with him on the island of
Maui.  Mr. Armstrong in a later interview stated he expected Clemens was
close to proposing marriage to his sister-in-law.

2.  Mr. Edward Howard, from England, who after a chance meeting on the
islands, accompanied Clemens on horseback for a portion of the islands
tour.  Howard returned to San Francisco from Hawaii the same date as
Clemens, although on a different ship.  Clemens later referred to "Ned"
Howard years later in a letter from Buffalo: "I like to talk with him and I
buy little jewelry trifles there..."

3.  An unknown female passenger who may have accompanied Clemens
back to San Francisco from Honolulu.  W. D. Howells refers to her in a
letter to his father some years later: "Mark Twain told me of a girl coming
alone with him to San Francisco from Honolulu."

Walter Francis Frear's _Mark Twain and Hawaii_ and Smith and Gibson's
_Mark Twain-Howells Letters_ refer to these persons, but unfortunately
these sources offer no comprehensive answers.

Barb