From:
"ALAN C. REESE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 18:40:45 -0500
Prety brave to be interlopin' in a Twain list sniffin' around for a
Jane "Austin" list considerin' Twain's opinion of her work which he
called "thoroughly artificial." During a sea voyage he finds the
ship's library devoid of JA books and comments,"That one omission
alonewould make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book
in it." Another time he said,"Every time I read P&J, I want to dig her
up and beat her over the skull with her own shin bone."