From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:24:00 +0000
I haven't sent through a web update in a while, and two recent
updates from Barbara Schmidt has gotten me to do one.  Here's
some of the new Twain-related materials on the web:

High Profile: Shelley Fisher Fishkin:  Seeking a place where the
Twain shall meet over Huck Finn
http://www.dallasnews.com/high-profile-nf/hp1.htm
Good article but probably only online Sunday, June 29

Mark Twain in the San Francisco Daily Morning Call (June-Oct 1864)
http://www.tarleton.edu/activities/pages/facultypages/schmidt/callindex.html
Another valuable collection placed online by Barbara Schmidt

Important MT Letter Acquired by U.Va. Library
http://viva.lib.virginia.edu/puboff/press/twain.html
This is a press release about the letter about Frederick Douglas
that was announced here in March.  The original newspaper
account is no longer available, but this press release will
probably stay online for a while.

Chrysler Stumbles Onto Mark Twain's Notes for 1907
Norfolk Speech
http://www.pilotonline.com/news/nw0401twa.html
Virginian-Pilot report on unedited notes for a 1907 speech.
Includes excerpts from the speech.

Additions to Mark Twain site at Mining Co.:

Mark Twain Photo Gallery
http://marktwain.miningco.com/library/gallery/bl_gallery.htm
Eighty or so photos of Twain, family, friends, and homes
from MT: A Bio and a dozen other sources.  If you find any
photos that Paine dated incorrectly, let me know.

Mark Twain & the Single Tax Movement
http://marktwain.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa062497.htm
First section of a 3-part (very speculative) series on Twain's
connections with Henry George's single tax movement
focusing mainly on Connecticut Yankee, "Archimedes," and
Dan Beard.  I'm hoping that this will inspire some additional
research on the topic.

Upcoming Events

July

* "Big River" at University of Connecticut, Storrs, first two weeks
* Twain at Twilight Concerts, MT House, Hartford, 2nd and 16th
* Tom Sawyer Days, Hannibal, 3rd-6th
* Mark Twain performances in the Great Plains Chautauqua Society's
American Writers of the Gilded Age program, 4th, 13th, 19th in Red
Cloud, NE, Davenport, IA, and West Fargo, ND, respectively.

August

* The State of MT Studies, Elmira, 14th-16th
* Mark Twain Days, Hartford, 15th-17th

Additional info on events and links to related web pages
can be found in the events calendar at
http://marktwain.miningco.com/ starting July 1 (when July
& August will be available -- currently, only June is online).
If you have an event you want listed there, let me know.

Also,  Amazon.com books (http://www.amazon.com/) has cut
their prices to compete with Barnes & Noble.  The Oxford Mark
Twain is now available at 30% off the original $295 price,  and
many other Twain titles are also available at 20-30% discounts.

Jim Zwick