From:
"Glen M. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 16:20:14 -0400
I, for one, can't tell you what a relief it is to have Vern Crisler tell
us that Laura Skandera Trombley's original post was a satire. Whew!  I
want to pay belated tribute to her for subtlety so exquisite that her
satire escaped everyone but Vern.

Of course, it'll now be necessary for Jim Zwick to come back with an
attack on Skandera-Trombley's post, because AS SATIRE it's guilty of
some of the same things Zwick hit Wes Britton for. And while he's at it,
Zwick can attack himself for violating his own principles by posting an
overt personal attack on Wes Britton.

And I would like to add a personal attack on everyone who has
participated in this debate, including myself, because according to the
principle put forward by Skandera-Trombley, the bibliography that
belongs on the list is Andrew Hoffman's, which is the most recent and
garnered at least as much recognition as Skandera-Trombley's book.  In
fact, Hoffman actually was invited to give a reading at Borders!  I was
there!

I persist in believing that the members of the Twain list can't be as
tone-deaf as their postings make them appear to be.

Glen "hardcover only, but reviewed in Phi Beta Kappa Key Reporter"
Johnson