From:
Ted Ficklen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 08:50:23 CDT
The California editions have wonderful notes, no other even comes close.
And the illustrations do look so much better on the rich, creamy paper.
If I were teaching the texts, I would have the students buy the California.

But for reading enjoyment and non-bulky carriability, you cannot beat the
Signet and NAL paperbacks. Even the Penguin really takes up too much space
in a small shoulder bag. Price is a factor with me too, frankly. With a
little shopping, I can usually find a used Signet edition for 50 cents to
a dollar. Call me stodgy, call me cheap, but I feel antsy forking over
12 dollars cash money for a paperback book.

Now if I was going to spend real money on a book, I would go for the Library
of America editions.

Ted Ficklen
University of Missouri - St Louis