From:
David Tomlinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 08:44:46 -0500
The writer Bobbie Ann Mason visited us at the Naval Academy two weeks
ago.  She has developed quite an interest in Twain.  She asked about
relatives of Twain who might be living today, and I could not answer her
question.  Since she has repeated the question in a letter, I would be
most grateful for your help in arriving at an answer.  She says, "I can't
figure out how this young woman I met named Farrah Clemens is descended
from him.  She said he was her grandfather's great-uncle.  That would
suggest she was descended from Orion Clemens.  But I can't find any
references to any offspring, other than Jenny, who died.  Perhaps she was
descended from a brother of John Marshall Clemens, Twain's father.  Do
you have a clue.  This lovely young woman, Farrah, who looked amazingly
like Susy Clemens, did'nt know much at all about Samuel Clemens.  She's
from Colorado."

Thanks in advance for any help.

DAVID TOMLINSON
U. S. Naval Academy