From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 22:13:09 -0500
I have tried over the years to identify the male, possibly a member of
the household staff, who appears in that video.  Without success.  My
two possible suspects were (1)  Horace Hazen of Redding, CT. (b. 1890
- d. 1930) described as tall, slender, gray eyes and brown hair on his
WW I draft registration; he would have been about 19 years old in 1909
and (2) Claude J. Beuchotte (b. 1877),  the last butler employed by
Clemens who also accompanied  him to Bermuda and was in his employ at
the time of Clemens's death.  He would have been about 32 years old in
1909. Unfortunately, I have found no photographs of either for
comparsion to the Edison footage.  Photos of Hazen should be found in
Redding -- somewhere.

There are still photos of men carrying Clemens off the ship from
Bermuda in 1910, but they have on hats and it is impossible to say any
are the same male in the Edison film. For now, Claude Beuchotte still
remains much of a mystery.  He worked for the family of Henry Rogers
after Clemens's death and there are no known memoirs or letters from
him to his family in France (or elsewhere) that have been found.  His
date and place of death have not been established although he may have
died in NY after 1941.

Barb